Everyone has been in a meeting or stand-up but here is how to make them better and how to get the most out of them. Time spent wisely is money spent wisely.
Here are some of those tips or rules to improve your stand-up:
- Have them at the same time in increments that make sense for the project, ex everyday, every week, every other week.
- Keep them stand-up sort and to the point.
- Include all the team members and make sure everyone understands to be on time.
- Make sure to do your research and get your notes together before hand. This allows for you to be straight to the point and avoid getting lost in the details.
- Have a person lead the meeting and another to document any decisions made so everyone says on the same page.
- Have a quick question session at the end so everyone can make sure they are all on the same page and no new questions arose during the stand-up
- Last, make sure you go over these tip/rules so there is structure and discipline to the stand-ups so they make the best use of everyone's time.
Fun Fact: Stand-ups are called that because people were made to stand and
give updates so they would keep their points short.
As far as coming to the stand-up prepared there are a few tricks to that too.
- Talk about what was done from the last stand-up till now.
- Talk about what you plan to do before the next stand-up
- Present any questions or blocks that you have to the group (talk to a person directly if you can to avoid getting off topic).
- Say who goes after you so there is no lag in figure out how goes next.
- If you are a lead and you feel like something is dragging on stop the discussion and suggest a separate meeting to talk about the problem in full detail.
Make sure your teams knows the rules and what their roles is. Stay organized and on task and your stand-ups should improve making your teams more efficient.